Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 4 - Career


I entered an engineering firm today out of curiosity, for I had long wondered what manner of force creates these structures that keep on rising like mushrooms sprouting after a thunderstorm.
I need not even say here that I would be restricted to entering. Ironic, but I guess this is one of the benefits of being a ghost. I wonder if others like me to do this as well.

As I entered an office I knew my curiosity had something more in store for me than just satisfying it.
~

The engineer pored over the building designs for their latest project, taking each detail in with a critical mind. He knew this project was the company's finest, their shining moment, and it was down to his abilities to do this project justice.

"How is it going there?" the head engineer of the project said, approaching him. "You'd better do well here, this will be our best project ever, I'm sure of it. There's huge money involved too so do your best!"

"Yes sir." the engineer said enthusiastically, making notes on the latest design. The head engineer laughed, gave him a hard, hearty slap on the shoulder, and left.

---

The project proved to be more complicated than the engineer had initially thought and was soon beset with doubts whether his skills would be able to accomplish the task at hand at an acceptable level. The head engineer appeared to show dissent at his latest suggestions, instead giving remarks that the engineer knew would not work. Despite that, he pursued the project even if it is causing him headaches at night thinking about it.

"Oh, yes, before I forget," the head engineer said, before leaving the engineer's desk. "Tonight we are having a meeting with the clients for the building project. They wanted to talk about the revisions made on the designs and how we're pushing through. Be there tonight."

"Until what time is the meeting?" the engineer asked. "I'm afraid I have a prior engagement at night."

"Well, cancel it. There's bigger stakes involved here. I don't know how long it will take but you'd better be there. I can't afford to explain everything since you know things better."

"I - yes, sir." the engineer said, breathing a sigh of disappointment as the head engineer left. That's the third time now. His wife is bound to get annoyed already rather than disappointed.

The late night meetings are already starting to take a toll on him with now three postponed dinner dates with his wife. His wife had already started arguing at him about his work habits.

"You've been spending time more at work than here at home!" his wife cried. "Even here at home sometimes you still answer your work calls on the phone!"

"I couldn't help it, dear." the engineer said. "I'm already tied up in this project."

"Well, suit yourself. Don't die over it now." his wife said coldly, heading to their room and slamming the door hard behind her.

The phone rang.

"Be at the office early tomorrow morning, we have a meeting with our clients again to finalize things at the project." the head engineer's voice said from the other end of the receiver.

---

The engineer now works at a small engineering firm that he had set up himself with the help of some of his colleagues who had also decided to pitch in to start their own. It had been a grueling year in the engineering firm from whence he came and he was glad he was out of the nightmare.

The earnings were lower than what he had considered as a dream job in the past, but at least he's happy.

Career for fun. Not for death.

~
"I don't understand." I said, as I felt the Light's presence behind me. "How could he find happiness in a job where it pays less than where he used to be?"

"Well, look at it." the Light said. "Do you think he was happy with the job he had before? Where he was paid highly and treated with rank?"

"I... I don't know. It just looks... impractical. Wasteful, maybe."

"Each person finds his own happiness in different ways." the Light said. "Others might find happiness in the most different of tasks, while there are some who find them in the most arduous. But regardless, all that matters is to enjoy what one truly does and do it with passion."

The Light disappeared, guiding me to a new path she has opened for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Ghost Writer's Desk Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template